According to usaers.com, Windthorst, Texas is situated in the northern part of Archer County, located on the edge of the Cross Timbers region. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and plains, with some wooded areas. The climate in Windthorst is typical of the region – hot summers and mild winters.
The city has a rich history dating back to 1884 when it was founded by German settlers from Russia. Windthorst grew steadily over the years and has a population of around 500 people today. It is home to many small businesses, as well as several churches and other community organizations.
Politics in Windthorst are largely conservative, with many residents voting Republican in elections. The economy of Windthorst is largely based on agriculture, with many farms in the area producing cotton, wheat, corn, and other crops. There are also several oil wells located nearby that provide much-needed revenue for the town.
Education in Windthorst is provided by two schools – Windthorst Elementary School and Windthorst High School – both of which are highly rated by parents and students alike. There are also several private schools in the area that provide religious instruction or alternative educational opportunities for those seeking them out.
Windthorst has several landmarks that are popular among locals and visitors alike. One such landmark is St Mary’s Catholic Church, which was built in 1887 and still stands today as a testament to its long history in Windthorst. Another popular landmark is the historic Clary-Langford House Museum which showcases artifacts from early settler life in Archer County as well as providing tours to visitors interested in learning more about local history and culture. Finally, visitors should also make sure to check out Gholson Park which offers a variety of recreational activities such as fishing ponds, playgrounds, picnic areas, sports fields, walking trails and more!
Population: 440. Estimated population in July 2020: 443 (+0.7% change)
Males: 232 (52.7%), Females: 208 (47.3%)
Zip code: 76389
Median resident age: 32.4 years
Median household income: $37,708
Median house value: $71,800
Races in Windthorst:
- White Non-Hispanic (74.8%)
- Hispanic (23.4%)
- Other race (14.1%)
- American Indian (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (45.2%), Irish (6.4%), English (2.7%), United States (1.8%), Swedish (1.6%).
Elevation: 1079 feet
Land area: 2.5 square miles
Windthorst, Texas is a small town located in Archer County with a population of 611 as of the 2010 census. The town has an area of 1.2 square miles and a population density of 514 people per square mile. The median age in the town is 38 years old and the average household size is 2.4 people. Most residents are employed in agriculture, manufacturing, retail trade, and educational services, although there are some who work from home or commute to other towns for employment opportunities. The median household income is $50,922 with just over 17% of the population living below the poverty line. Windthorst is a predominately white town with 87% identifying as such and 10% Hispanic or Latino. There is also a small percentage who identify as Native American or African American. Education levels tend to be lower than average in Windthorst with only 62% having obtained their high school diploma and only 8% having attained a college degree or higher level of education. However, the community prides itself on providing quality education and there are several local organizations dedicated to helping students achieve their educational goals.
For population 25 years and over in Windthorst
- High school or higher: 69.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Windthorst town
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 71.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 6.5%
17.0% Foreign born (17.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +73 (+19.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Windthorst:
- KELL WEST REGIONAL HOSPITAL LLC (about 21 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX)
- NORTH TEXAS STATE HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX)
- CLAY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; HENRIETTA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Windthorst:
- SHEPPARD AFB/WICHITA FALLS MUNI (about 29 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Abbreviation: SPS)
- LAWTON-FORT SILL REGIONAL (about 69 miles; LAWTON, OK; Abbreviation: LAW)
- HENRY POST AAF (about 73 miles; FORT SILL, OK; Abbreviation: FSI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Windthorst:
- ARCHER CITY MUNI (about 13 miles; ARCHER CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T39)
- KICKAPOO DOWNTOWN AIRPARK (about 20 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Abbreviation: T47)
- WICHITA VALLEY (about 28 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Abbreviation: F14)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Windthorst:
- MIDWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,619)
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; LAWTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE (about 91 miles; GAINESVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,018)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS (about 94 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,673)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 95 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 95 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE (about 96 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,454)
Public high school in Windthorst:
- WINDTHORST H S (Students: 208; Location: 100 ST MARY’S; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Windthorst:
- WINDTHORST EL (Students: 274; Location: 100 ST MARY’S; Grades: PK – 06)