According to ITYPEJOB, Geneva is the second largest city in Switzerland after Zurich with a population of about 175 thousand people. Geneva is the name of the Celtic settlement of the Allobrogei tribe. The first mention of it was found in Julius Caesar, in the Notes on the Gallic War. During the Roman rule, the city prospered, the Romans built roads and aqueducts here.
In the 4th century AD Christian religion penetrates into Geneva and it becomes the center of a large diocese. In 443, the Germanic Burgundian tribe occupies the region, and for 30 years Geneva becomes the capital of their kingdom. In the ninth century it was declared the capital of Burgundy. From the 11th century the city was actually ruled by local bishops. This continued until the Reformation, when Geneva became a republic.
From 1798 to 1814 Geneva was part of France. After the fall of Napoleon’s empire, the Republic of Geneva found it best to join the cantons of Switzerland. The city’s notoriety as home to many international organizations dates back to 1859, to the work of businessman and humanitarian Henri Dunant, who founded the International Red Cross. While the whole of Europe was recovering from the devastating effects of the war, Switzerland and Geneva in particular were expanding their influence in the commercial, financial and industrial spheres. The World Health Organization, the World Council of Churches and many other international organizations have established their headquarters in Geneva.
The city is located in a very picturesque place, on the shores of Lake Geneva, surrounded by mountains, which gives it a resort look. In the city there are baths, pools and beaches where you can practice many water sports. You can take a boat ride on the lake and go on a cruise along the Rhone River, which flows into the lake.
On the left bank of the Rhone is the historic center of Geneva with the main architectural monuments. Among them, the most striking is St. Peter ‘s Basilica. Its construction began in 1160 and lasted 150 years. During this time, the Cathedral, built at first in the Romanesque style, acquired Gothic features. Later, in 1750, a massive neoclassical façade was added. The panoramic view from the north tower of the cathedral is worth the climb.
Not far from the cathedral is the Bourg des Fours, with traces of ancient roads leading south to Annecy and Lyon, east to Italy and Chablais. Once this area was the market of the Romans, where they traded cattle, later it was overflowing with Protestant refugees. And now this area is the main intersection of the roads of Geneva. Even in the old part, it is worth looking at the Town Hall, the Arsenal, the Opera House (1879), the Conservatory (1856) and the famous Jet d’Eau fountain(1891), the jet of which rises to a height of 140 meters. Also on the left bank of the Rhone is the University of Geneva. and the Reformation Monument, a giant panel with carved figures of Reformation figures – Jacques Calvin, Knox, Zwingli and others.
One of the unique sights of Geneva is the clock made of flowers on the Promenade du Lac (Promenade du Lac) with the largest second hand in the world, which is 2.5 m long). About 6,500 fresh flowers are used annually to build the clock.
In the middle of the Rhone is the island Rousseau, which was once the refuge of the famous philosopher. There is a statue of Jean Jacques Rousseau by Pradier (1834).
The right bank of the Rhone is “international” Geneva with the headquarters of the UN, the Red Cross, the international work center and other organizations.
The city has more than 30 museums, very interesting to visit. Among them is the Clock Museum, which displays the history of clocks from the 16th century to the present. and up to our days; Museum of Art and History, the only encyclopedic museum in Switzerland, which exhibits objects and works of Western culture from antiquity to the present; the Automobile Museum, containing a collection of 120 vintage cars, motorcycles and bicycles; International Museum of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, where you can learn about the past of these organizations. The oldest house in the city, the Tavel House, has been turned into a museum.. It was built in 1303 and partially rebuilt after a fire in 1334. The house has a courtyard with a staircase, a 13th century cellar. century and garden. The exhibits of the museum date from the Middle Ages to the middle of the 19th century.
Filled with parks and places to walk, Geneva becomes a real garden in the summer. It is also one of the healthiest cities in the world thanks to the predominance of northerly winds that clean the city’s air of pollution.
Botanical Garden of Geneva was founded in 1902. It covers an area of 28 hectares, where you can see gardens in the rocks, centuries-old trees, exotic greenhouses, flower beds with a variety of flowers, rose gardens, aviaries, a deer park and a living catalog of economically useful and medicinal plants. It also houses a huge research institute. In the summer, you can get to a free concert in one of the theaters.