According to EHOTELAT, West Columbia, Texas is a small city located in the southeastern part of the state. The city is situated on the banks of the Brazos River and enjoys a humid subtropical climate. Winters are mild and summers are hot and humid.
The history of West Columbia dates back to 1821 when it was founded by Moses Austin, who was granted land by Mexico for colonization purposes. In 1836, during the Texas Revolution, it was the site of a battle between Texan forces and Mexican troops. After independence was gained, West Columbia flourished as an agricultural center with cotton being its major export.
Politics in West Columbia are predominantly conservative and Republican-leaning. The city has had a long history of electing Republican candidates to local offices as well as sending them to Congress at both state and federal levels.
West Columbia’s economy is mainly driven by agriculture with cotton being its main crop. It also has some manufacturing industry with several small businesses that provide employment to locals.
The city has excellent educational facilities with several elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, colleges, universities, and technical institutes providing quality education for its citizens. It also boasts one of the oldest libraries in Texas called “The Old Library” which was established in 1837 as part of a private school system established by early settlers from England and Scotland.
There are many landmarks to explore around West Columbia such as historic churches like St Mary’s Episcopal Church (built in 1845) or St John’s Methodist Church (built in 1880). There is also “The Old Jail” which dates back to 1859 when it served as a jail for prisoners from all over the region or “The Old Courthouse” which served as the county courthouse until 1937 when it became a museum dedicated to local history and culture.
Population: 4,255. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,240 (-0.4% change)
Males: 2,003 (47.1%), Females: 2,252 (52.9%)
Zip code: 77486
Median resident age: 34.9 years
Median household income: $31,115
Median house value: $53,500
Races in West Columbia:
- White Non-Hispanic (60.6%)
- Black (19.5%)
- Hispanic (18.0%)
- Other race (7.8%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (9.7%), Irish (8.8%), English (7.1%), United States (5.6%), Scotch-Irish (3.9%), French (3.2%).
Elevation: 33 feet
Land area: 2.6 square miles
West Columbia, Texas is a small city located just south of Houston in Brazoria County. The population was 4,255 at the 2010 census. It has grown steadily since then and the estimated population as of 2019 is 5,095. The median age in West Columbia is 37 years old with 45% of the population being between 25 and 44 years old. The racial makeup of West Columbia is 85% White, 8% Hispanic or Latino, 2.6% African American, 1.2% Asian and 3.2% two or more races. The majority of West Columbia’s population works in service-related industries such as retail trade and health care/social assistance services. There are several large employers in West Columbia including Brazosport Regional Health System and Phillips 66 Refinery which employ over 800 people combined. Education levels tend to be slightly lower than the national average with only 12% having attained a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 33% nationally. However, this number is on the rise due to recent investments in local schools and universities such as Brazosport College which offer high-quality education for local residents at an affordable price.
For population 25 years and over in West Columbia
- High school or higher: 73.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Columbia city
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 54.6%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 9.7%
9.5% Foreign born (8.0% Latin America, 1.2% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -198 (-4.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Columbia:
- SWEENY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; SWEENY, TX)
- ANGLETON-DANBURY MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; ANGLETON, TX)
- BRAZOSPORT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; LAKE JACKSON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Columbia:
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 14 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 47 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Columbia:
- CAMERON (about 14 miles; ANGLETON, TX; Abbreviation: T34)
- BAILES (about 18 miles; ANGLETON, TX; Abbreviation: 7R9)
- BAY CITY MUNI (about 19 miles; BAY CITY, TX; Abbreviation: BYY)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Columbia:
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 33 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 45 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
Public high school in West Columbia:
- COLUMBIA H S (Students: 853; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in West Columbia:
- COLUMBIA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 187; Location: 725 W BRAZOS; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Columbia:
- BARROW EL (Students: 725; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: PK – 06)
- WEST COLUMBIA EL (Students: 512; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: PK – 04)
- WEST COLUMBIA J H (Students: 491; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WILD PEACH EL (Students: 321; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: PK – 04)
- CHARLIE BROWN INT (Students: 219; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: 05 – 06)
- BRAZORIA CO J J A E P (Students: 2; Location: 521 S 16TH ST; Grades: 06 – 12)