If you can handle yourself as usual, your body needs about 300 extra calories per day. It is the equivalent of a snack with, for example, a plate of film milk with a few cereals, a sandwich and an apple.
Please read our tempting nutrition tips for you and the baby.
Although the stomach is large, it is good to try to keep the muscles as good as possible. Walking, swimming and yoga for pregnant women are recommended exercise forms.
The heavier you become, the greater the risk that your feet and legs will swell substantially. Wear support socks even before you get out of bed, and preferably lie with your legs high for a while now and then.
Visits to the midwife are getting closer now, especially if you are a first-time nurse. The checks provide good opportunities for you to talk about everything you wonder about the impending birth.
It starts to get crowded in the stomach. The child has difficulty in turning and lying “across” and therefore sets himself in the so-called birth position. This means that most children end up with their heads down. But 3-4 percent remain in the seat position, with the tail down.
The child has soon reached its full birthrate. Some children already have a lot of hair on their head by week 33.
Smoking, alcohol, drugs during pregnancy
Smoking, alcohol and drugs affect the growing fetus when you are expecting children. Here you will find facts and tips on why you should give up during pregnancy.
- BestAAH: Look for maternity swimwear? Check here to find 16 types of pregnancy swimwear.
If you are pregnant, you should try to abstain from alcohol.
The same goes for smoking, as your child will get twice as much harmful carbon monoxide as you do when you smoke.
And if you have a hard time ending up with some type of drug – talk to your MVC / midwife, you will get support and help.
Smoking – doubly harmful to the fetus
When you smoke, you draw in many harmful substances that are taken up by the blood and carried around the body. The subjects reach the fetus via the placenta and umbilical cord.
And your fetus absorbs twice as much carbon monoxide in its blood as your own bloodstream. A cigarette for the expectant mother thus corresponds to two for her small child.
And the negative effects in the fetal body are several: The carbon monoxide suppresses oxygen in the blood. The nicotine in cigarette smoke and snuff pulls the blood vessels in the placenta.
Small and premature babies
In the case of other drugs, such as drugs or sedatives, it can be seen that drugs taken throughout pregnancy result in premature birth and that the child weighs less.
– But alcohol is the hardest drug, it’s actually a cell poison. Upwards of 90 percent of Swedish women drink alcohol. And 90 percent can also stop drinking alcohol during pregnancy if they get good information, says Christina Ottenblad, who has long worked as a midwife and unit manager at the family social reception at Huddinge Hospital, a specialist maternal care for expectant mothers with alcohol or drug problems.
The alcohol reaches the immature liver of the fetus
When a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, it affects the fetus at least as much as herself. Since there is no barrier in the placenta, the alcohol goes from the mother to the fetus.
The small fetus has no fully developed liver, which can break down the venom itself. In addition, the fetus has the alcohol longer in it than the mother has. You could say that the baby is an extension of the mother’s body.
Development of face or brain can be affected
Here’s how Christina Otttenblad describes the effects of alcohol on the fetus:
– During the first weeks of pregnancy, the face, eyes and bottom of the skin develop, and these facial parts can be damaged as a result of both use and abuse. In order for the child to have visible injuries, the expectant mother must have been drinking a lot at the beginning of the pregnancy.
The development of the brain continues throughout pregnancy. Damage caused by alcohol and drugs in the latter part of pregnancy is believed to be able to manifest itself as concentration difficulties and disturbances in the child’s perception ability.
Children are different sensitive
The sensitivity to alcohol is very individual in both the fetus and the expectant mother, points out Christina Ottenblad:
– We can never say with certainty how an abuse strikes. What we do know is that many of the children who have been subjected to alcohol or drug abuse in their womb are injured.
On the other hand, she does not think that expectant mothers need to worry that, for example, they have been drinking alcohol on a few occasions, perhaps before they have even learned that they are expecting children.
– It is very common. But after that, keep in mind that the baby’s brain is constantly evolving. And that we do not know in advance which children are the most sensitive.
Read about what’s going on in your body and fetal development in our pregnancy calendar, week by week.