According to topmbadirectory.com, Port Mansfield is located in Willacy County, Texas and is situated along the Gulf Coast. The city is surrounded by a vast expanse of marshland, which provides an abundance of natural wildlife, including fish and birds. The climate in Port Mansfield is generally mild and humid with average temperatures ranging from the mid-60s (Fahrenheit) in the winter to the mid-90s in the summer.
Port Mansfield has a rich history dating back to its founding as a small fishing village in 1855. It was a popular stop for ships traveling between Mexico and Texas, providing ample opportunity for trade. In recent years, Port Mansfield has seen an increase in tourism due to its close proximity to South Padre Island.
Politically, Port Mansfield leans conservative. The city council consists of five members who are elected at large on a nonpartisan basis every two years.
The economy of Port Mansfield is largely driven by fishing and tourism, with both industries providing significant jobs for local residents. Additionally, there are several small businesses that cater to tourists visiting the area such as restaurants and gift shops.
The schools in Port Mansfield are part of the Willacy County Independent School District which includes three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. All schools offer students access to extracurricular activities such as athletics, theatre arts, band programs, and more.
As far as landmarks go, Port Mansfield has several notable sites that attract visitors from all over the world including: Sea Turtle Inc., which houses injured sea turtles; Caracol Park which offers stunning views of nearby Laguna Madre; and La Paloma Wildlife Refuge where visitors can observe native wildlife up close.
Males: 210 (50.6%), Females: 205 (49.4%)
Zip code: 78598
Median resident age: 55.1 years
Median household income: $26,500
Median house value: $53,100
Races in Port Mansfield:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.6%)
- Hispanic (14.2%)
- Other race (4.6%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.0%), English (15.7%), United States (12.8%), Irish (10.1%), Scotch-Irish (5.3%), Welsh (3.9%).
Land area: 5.2 square miles
Port Mansfield, Texas is a small fishing village located on the Gulf Coast of Texas. It has a population of about 1,200 people and is known for its laid-back atmosphere and abundance of fishing opportunities. The town itself is situated on the Laguna Madre Bay and has a long stretch of beach that provides excellent access to the bay for fishing. The majority of the population is made up of retirees and seasonal vacationers who come to take advantage of the great fishing opportunities. This makes Port Mansfield an ideal spot for those looking to get away from it all or just enjoy some time by the water. There are also plenty of other activities available in Port Mansfield such as bird watching, kayaking, swimming, boating, and more. The town also hosts several annual festivals throughout the year that attract visitors from near and far. These events include a Fourth of July celebration, an Oysterfest in October, and an Annual Fishing Tournament in November.
For population 25 years and over in Port Mansfield
- High school or higher: 81.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Port Mansfield CDP
- Never married: 11.6%
- Now married: 66.9%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 11.6%
- Divorced: 8.8%
5.5% Foreign born (4.3% Latin America, 0.7% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Port Mansfield:
- RIO GRANDE STATE CENTER (about 30 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- SOUTH TEXAS HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- VALLEY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 30 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Port Mansfield:
- VALLEY INTL (about 28 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
- BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INT’L (about 46 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: BRO)
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 62 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Port Mansfield:
- CHARLES R JOHNSON (about 1 miles; PORT MANSFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: T05)
- PORT ISABEL-CAMERON COUNTY (about 29 miles; PORT ISABEL, TX; Abbreviation: PIL)
- MID VALLEY (about 46 miles; WESLACO, TX; Abbreviation: T65)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Port Mansfield:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 30 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 44 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)
- TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE (about 44 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,556)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 54 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 72 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 80 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)