According to TOPSCHOOLSOFLAW, Orange Grove, Texas is located in the South Texas Plains region, about 35 miles from Corpus Christi. The climate is mostly mild and humid, with temperatures ranging from the low 30s in winter to the upper 90s in summer. The city has a long history, beginning as a small farming community and evolving over time into a modern city with strong ties to agriculture and industry. Politically, Orange Grove is part of San Patricio County and is governed by a mayor-council form of government.
The economy of Orange Grove is largely driven by agriculture and related industries such as oil and gas production, ranching, and food processing. The city also has several retail stores that cater to both locals and visitors. Schools in Orange Grove are part of the San Patricio County School District and include several elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and one alternative school.
The most notable landmark in Orange Grove is the historic Old City Hall building which was built in 1892. This building served as the city hall until it was replaced by a new facility in 1987; today it serves as an event center for weddings, parties, meetings and other special occasions. Other notable landmarks include the Orange Grove Public Library which has been open since 1912; St John’s Catholic Church which dates back to 1874; and War Memorial Park which commemorates local veterans who served in World War I & II.
Population: 1,288. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,402 (+8.9% change)
Males: 586 (45.5%), Females: 702 (54.5%)
Jim Wells County
Zip code: 78372
Median resident age: 33.1 years
Median household income: $32,981
Median house value: $49,600
Races in Orange Grove:
- Hispanic (50.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (48.9%)
- Other race (8.1%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (24.9%), Irish (7.6%), English (5.1%), United States (3.4%), Polish (3.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Orange Grove, Texas is a small town located in the South Texas region of the United States. It has a population of around 2,500 people and is located just off Interstate 37. The town is known for its rural atmosphere and small-town charm, with plenty of restaurants and shops to explore. It also has a thriving agricultural industry, with many local farms producing crops such as cotton, corn, and peanuts. The town also has several churches and schools in its vicinity.
The majority of residents in Orange Grove are Hispanic or Latino, making up approximately 65% of the population. This is closely followed by White individuals at around 25%. The remaining 10% consists primarily of African American individuals as well as some Asian Americans living in the area. Over half of Orange Grove’s population is under 18 years old, with over 20% being under 5 years old. In terms of education level, most Orange Grove residents have a high school diploma or equivalent while only 13% have obtained a college degree or higher level of education. The median household income in Orange Grove is around $25,000 per year while the median family income stands at $32,000 per year.
For population 25 years and over in Orange Grove
- High school or higher: 73.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Orange Grove city
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 10.7%
- Divorced: 11.1%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +86 (+7.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Orange Grove:
- ALICE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; ALICE, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL ALICE (about 19 miles; ALICE, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL KLEBERG (about 32 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Orange Grove:
- CORPUS CHRISTI INTL (about 34 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Abbreviation: CRP)
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 94 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 108 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Orange Grove:
- ORANGE GROVE NALF (about 9 miles; ORANGE GROVE, TX; Abbreviation: NOG)
- ALICE INTL (about 17 miles; ALICE, TX; Abbreviation: ALI)
- NUECES COUNTY (about 22 miles; ROBSTOWN, TX; Abbreviation: T53)
Amtrak station near Orange Grove:
- 18 miles: ALICE (301 N. JOHNSON ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Orange Grove:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 32 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- COASTAL BEND COLLEGE (about 35 miles; BEEVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,150)
- DEL MAR COLLEGE (about 40 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 44 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 88 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 104 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 107 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
Public high school in Orange Grove:
- ORANGE GROVE H S (Students: 473; Location: 504 S DIBRELL; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Orange Grove:
- ORANGE GROVE PRI (Students: 406; Location: 504 S DIBRELL; Grades: PK – 02)
- ORANGE GROVE J H (Students: 394; Location: 504 S DIBRELL; Grades: 06 – 08)
- ORANGE GROVE INT (Students: 359; Location: 504 S DIBRELL; Grades: 03 – 05)