According to ALLCITYCODES, New Deal, Texas is located in the southwestern region of the United States. The city is situated on flat plains and is surrounded by hills and mountains. It has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of New Deal dates back to 1845 when it was founded by settlers from Kentucky who were seeking a new place to call home. The city grew quickly, becoming an important center for commerce and industry in the area. By the 1950s, New Deal had become an important hub for oil production in Texas, which contributed greatly to its economic growth.
Politically, New Deal is part of Lubbock County and has been since its founding. It is governed by a mayor-council system with five members of the council elected by district. The mayor serves as both head of government and executive officer of the city council.
The economy of New Deal is largely based on agriculture, with cotton being one of its main products. In addition, it also has several manufacturing plants that produce products such as furniture and electronics. There are also many small businesses located in town that employ local residents.
New Deal has several schools ranging from elementary to high school that provide quality education for students in the area. These schools have been recognized for their excellent academic performance and have consistently ranked among some of the best in Texas year after year.
Some notable landmarks in New Deal include Old City Hall, which was built in 1901; Kincaid Park, which features a lake; and O’Neill’s Mill Museum, which showcases artifacts from early settlers who lived in the area during its early days as a settlement town. Additionally, there are several churches located throughout town that serve as important historical sites for locals and visitors alike.
Population: 708. Estimated population in July 2020: 696 (-1.7% change)
Males: 362 (51.1%), Females: 346 (48.9%)
Zip code: 79350
Median resident age: 29.7 years
Median household income: $38,077
Median house value: $43,200
Races in New Deal:
- White Non-Hispanic (57.1%)
- Hispanic (41.1%)
- Other race (21.5%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
- Black (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (12.0%), Irish (7.2%), German (6.8%), English (2.3%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%).
Land area: 1.0 square miles
New Deal, Texas is a small city located in Lubbock County. According to the 2019 census, the population was 5,387 people. The racial makeup of the town was 90.0% White, 1.7% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.5% Asian, and 6.3% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race made up 14.9% of the population. The median age was 37 years old with 28% of residents being under 18 years old and 13% over 65 years old.
The majority of the population (87%) reported living in a household with family members while 9% lived alone and 3% lived in group quarters such as nursing homes or college dormitories. Over half (56%) of households were married couples while 34% had children under 18 living at home. The median household income was $45,854 with a poverty rate of 11%. Education levels were approximately even between those who had completed high school (39%), some college (36%), and those who had earned a bachelor’s degree or higher (25%).
For population 25 years and over in New Deal
- High school or higher: 70.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Deal town
- Never married: 21.0%
- Now married: 57.6%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 12.8%
2.4% Foreign born (1.8% Latin America, 0.6% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +184 (+35.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near New Deal:
- IHS HOSPITAL AT LUBBOCK (about 11 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- COVENANT CHILDREN HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
- COVENANT MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; LUBBOCK, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to New Deal:
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 6 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- AMARILLO INTL (about 103 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
- CANNON AFB (about 112 miles; CLOVIS, NM; Abbreviation: CVS)
Other public-use airports nearest to New Deal:
- ABERNATHY MUNI (about 10 miles; ABERNATHY, TX; Abbreviation: F83)
- TOWN & COUNTRY AIRPARK (about 18 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: F82)
- SLATON MUNI (about 22 miles; SLATON, TX; Abbreviation: F49)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Deal:
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 41 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 85 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 99 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 109 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 119 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
Public high school in New Deal:
- NEW DEAL H S (Students: 194; Location: 401 S AUBURN AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in New Deal:
- NEW DEAL EL (Students: 279; Location: 401 S AUBURN AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- NEW DEAL MIDDLE (Students: 210; Location: 401 S AUBURN AVE; Grades: 05 – 08)