According to ALLCITYCODES, New Braunfels is a city located in Comal County, Texas. Geographically, the city sits on the banks of the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers. It is located to the north of San Antonio and to the south of Austin. The climate in New Braunfels is generally warm with cool winters. Summers tend to be hot and humid with occasional thunderstorms.
The city’s history dates back to 1845 when German settlers founded it by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels. The settlers named it after their home town in Germany, Braunfels. Over time, New Braunfels became an important commercial center for local farmers and ranchers as well as a popular tourist destination due to its proximity to nearby rivers and lakes.
Politically, New Braunfels is part of Texas’ 25th Congressional District which is represented by Republican Roger Williams in Congress. The city’s government consists of a Mayor, five City Council members and several boards and commissions that are responsible for making policy decisions affecting the community.
New Braunfels has a diverse economy that includes manufacturing, retail, healthcare and tourism industries. Major employers include Canyon Lake Medical Center, Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Resort, Gruene Historic District and New Braunfels Independent School District (NBISD). NBISD serves nearly 16,000 students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade at 24 campuses throughout Comal County.
New Braunfels is home to many interesting landmarks including Landa Park which features swimming pools, miniature golf courses and picnic areas; Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Resort; Gruene Historic District; Prince Solms Park which has outdoor sculptures depicting early German settlers; Downtown Plaza where visitors can enjoy shopping or dining at one of many local restaurants; Faust Street Bridge which spans the Guadalupe River; Heritage Village Museum which offers tours of historic homes from early German settlers; Natural Bridge Caverns which feature some of the largest underground chambers in Texas; Sattler Haus Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers; Old Main Street Shopping Center where visitors can find unique antiques or souvenirs; and more!
Population: 36,494. Estimated population in July 2020: 47,168 (+29.2% change)
Males: 17,472 (47.9%), Females: 19,022 (52.1%)
Zip codes: 78130, 78132.
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $40,078
Median house value: $95,100
Races in New Braunfels:
- White Non-Hispanic (62.5%)
- Hispanic (34.5%)
- Other race (10.9%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Black (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (23.1%), Irish (8.0%), English (7.4%), United States (5.9%), French (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.4%).
Elevation: 623 feet
Land area: 29.2 square miles
New Braunfels, Texas is a vibrant and diverse community located in Comal County, just north of San Antonio. As of 2019, New Braunfels had an estimated population of 81,737 people spanning an area of 31.5 square miles. The city is a popular destination for tourists due to its close proximity to San Antonio, the Guadalupe River, and Schlitterbahn Waterpark.
New Braunfels is a rapidly growing city with the median age being 33 years old and a median household income of $58,872. The racial makeup of the city is 78% White (non-Hispanic), 10% Hispanic or Latino, 6% African American or Black, 2% Asian American, 1% Native American or Alaskan Native and 3% other races. In addition to its diverse population, New Braunfels also has a strong economy with numerous industrial businesses such as Caterpillar Inc., H-E-B Grocery Stores and Amazon Fulfillment Center located in the area. The unemployment rate in New Braunfels is 4%, which is significantly lower than the national average of 5%.
The crime rate in New Braunfels is quite low when compared to other cities in Texas with only 562 total crimes reported in 2019 alone. In addition to low crime rates, New Braunfels has also been consistently ranked as one of the top places to live in Texas due to its excellent education system and overall quality of life. The city also boasts numerous parks providing plenty of outdoor activities for residents such as swimming at Landa Park or tubing on the Guadalupe River.
For population 25 years and over in New Braunfels
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.9%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Braunfels city
- Never married: 21.2%
- Now married: 58.4%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 9.9%
6.7% Foreign born (5.0% Latin America, 1.0% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +8,691 (+31.3%).
Hospital/medical center in New Braunfels:
- MCKENNA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (600 N UNION AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near New Braunfels:
- GUADALUPE VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; SEGUIN, TX)
- COMPASS HOSP OF SAN ANTONIO,THE (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- MISSION VISTA HOSPITAL CO (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to New Braunfels:
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 27 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 38 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 46 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to New Braunfels:
- NEW BRAUNFELS MUNI (about 7 miles; NEW BRAUNFELS, TX; Abbreviation: BAZ)
- RANDOLPH AFB (about 17 miles; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Abbreviation: RND)
- KESTREL AIRPARK (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 1T7)
Amtrak station near New Braunfels:
- 18 miles: SAN MARCOS (LBJ DR. & COMAL ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in New Braunfels:
- SEGUIN BEAUTY SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 26; Location: 214 W SAN ANTONIO; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Braunfels:
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 28 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 34 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 34 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
Public high schools in New Braunfels:
- NEW BRAUNFELS H S (Students: 1,823; Location: 2551 LOOP 337 N; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CANYON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,427; Location: 1510 IH 35 E; Grades: 09 – 12)
- COMAL LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (Students: 69; Location: 1419 N BUSINESS 35; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in New Braunfels:
- NEW BRAUNFELS CHRISTIAN ACA (Students: 412; Location: 995 MISSION HILLS; Grades: PK – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in New Braunfels:
- NEW BRAUNFELS MIDDLE (Students: 954; Location: 656 S GUENTHER AVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- CANYON MIDDLE (Students: 740; Location: 2014 FM 1101; Grades: 07 – 08)
- COMAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 703; Location: 6720 FM 482; Grades: PK – 06)
- MEMORIAL PRI (Students: 575; Location: 1200 COUNTY LINE RD; Grades: PK – 01)
- SEELE EL (Students: 546; Location: 540 HOWARD ST; Grades: 03 – 05)
- HOFFMANN LANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 538; Location: 4600 FM 306; Grades: PK – 06)
- CANYON INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 529; Location: 1275 N BUSINESS 35; Grades: 04 – 06)
- MEMORIAL EL (Students: 511; Location: 1900 S WALNUT; Grades: 01 – 03)
- GOODWIN PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 506; Location: 1297 CHURCH HILL DR; Grades: PK – 01)
- OAKRUN SCHOOL (Students: 485; Location: 415 TIMBER HOLLOW; Grades: 06 – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in New Braunfels:
- STS PETER AND PAUL SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: 198 W BRIDGE; Grades: PK – 8)
- DAYSPRING CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 118; Location: 1895 S WALNUT; Grades: PK – 11)
- CROSS LUTHERAN SCHOOL/CHILD CA (Students: 54; Location: 169 S HICKORY; Grades: PK – 4)
Library in New Braunfels:
- NEW BRAUNFELS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $954,500; Location: 700 E COMMON ST; 71,651 books; 3,308 audio materials; 1,558 video materials; 203 serial subscriptions)