According to ALLCITYCODES, Needville, Texas is located in Fort Bend County and is just south of Houston. It is a small rural town with a population of just under 2,500. The area is mostly flat with some rolling hills and has a moderate climate. Summers are hot and humid, while winters are mild to cool.
The city was first settled in 1873 by German immigrants looking for better opportunities in the United States. Since then, the city has grown to become an important agricultural center for the surrounding area. Crops such as cotton, corn, and hay are grown in the area and are sold to local markets. The local economy also benefits from oil production from nearby areas as well as tourism from Houston and Dallas.
Politics in Needville lean heavily towards conservative values with many of the same values being held by its citizens. Education is highly valued, with many students attending Needville High School or one of the other local schools in the district. The school district also offers pre-kindergarten classes as well as adult education classes for those looking to further their education or learn new skills.
The city boasts several landmarks that make it unique including its historic downtown square which features several shops and restaurants, the Needville Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers and local history, as well as various parks that offer outdoor recreation opportunities such as fishing, camping, hiking trails, picnic areas and more! The city also features an annual celebration called “Needville Days” which includes parades, fireworks displays and other festivities that draw people from all over Texas each year!
Population: 2,609. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,288 (+26.0% change)
Males: 1,205 (46.2%), Females: 1,404 (53.8%)
Fort Bend County
Zip code: 77461
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $41,202
Median house value: $71,600
Races in Needville:
- White Non-Hispanic (61.7%)
- Hispanic (24.0%)
- Black (13.2%)
- Other race (10.2%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (20.7%), Czech (11.8%), Irish (5.1%), United States (4.6%), Polish (4.2%), English (3.9%).
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Needville, Texas is a small town located in the Brazos Valley region of Texas. It has a population of approximately 1,700 people according to the 2010 census. The majority of the population is white, with about 20% Hispanic and 8% African American. The median age of Needville’s population is 36 years old. The population is mostly made up of married couples and families, with single individuals making up about 25% of the total population. Education levels are relatively high in Needville, with almost 40% of the adult population having at least some college experience. The economy in Needville is largely based on agriculture and related industries such as farming and ranching. There are also several small businesses in town, including restaurants, retail stores, and service providers. Needville’s residents take pride in their community and work together to ensure its continued success by supporting local businesses and organizations that help improve the community’s quality of life.
For population 25 years and over in Needville
- High school or higher: 76.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Needville city
- Never married: 23.0%
- Now married: 60.7%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 7.5%
2.6% Foreign born (2.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +350 (+15.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Needville:
- POLLY RYON HOSP AUTHORITY (about 15 miles; RICHMOND, TX)
- GULF COAST MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; WHARTON, TX)
- METHODIST SUGAR LAND HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; SUGAR LAND, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Needville:
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 34 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 43 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 50 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Needville:
- HAPPY LANDINGS (about 9 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 2H5)
- WARD AIRPARK (about 10 miles; BEASLEY, TX; Abbreviation: 5T0)
- LANE AIRPARK (about 10 miles; ROSENBERG, TX; Abbreviation: T54)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Needville:
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 19 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 40 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 40 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 41 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
Public high school in Needville:
- NEEDVILLE H S (Students: 730; Location: 16227 HWY 36; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Needville:
- NEEDVILLE EL (Students: 572; Location: 16227 HWY 36; Grades: PK – 02)
- NEEDVILLE JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 409; Location: 16227 HWY 36; Grades: 07 – 08)
- NEEDVILLE MIDDLE (Students: 404; Location: 16227 HWY 36; Grades: 05 – 06)
- NEEDVILLE INT (Students: 351; Location: 16227 HWY 36; Grades: 03 – 04)