According to EBIZDIR, Natalia, Texas is located in the southwestern corner of Medina County, about 25 miles west of San Antonio. The city has a population of about 1,500 people and is considered an agricultural community. The area is known for its rolling hills and mesquite trees. The climate is hot and humid during the summer with temperatures reaching into the low 90s. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing.
The city was founded in 1878 by a group of German immigrants who called it Natalia after their homeland in Europe. It was officially incorporated in 1907 when it became a stop on the San Antonio-El Paso Railroad line. Since then, Natalia has been an important part of the local economy as a center for agriculture and ranching.
Politics in Natalia are largely conservative; most residents vote Republican in elections at all levels of government. The city’s economy mainly consists of farming and ranching, though there are also some small businesses that serve the local population. There are two schools located within the city limits: Natalia High School and Natalia Elementary School, both part of the Natalia Independent School District.
One of the most popular landmarks in Natalia is “The Big Red Barn,” an old barn painted bright red that has been standing since 1908 when it was built by one of the original settlers to use as a storehouse for hay and feed for his cattle herds. Today it serves as a reminder of Natalia’s long history as an agricultural community. Other notable landmarks include several historic churches, such as St Paul’s Lutheran Church which was built in 1885, and several buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places including Main Street Mercantile (built in 1910) and Hermann Scholl House (built in 1893).
Population: 1,663. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,794 (+7.9% change)
Males: 829 (49.8%), Females: 834 (50.2%)
Zip code: 78059
Median resident age: 28.9 years
Median household income: $22,557
Median house value: $33,600
Races in Natalia:
- Hispanic (79.4%)
- Other race (29.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (18.6%)
- Two or more races (3.3%)
- Black (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (4.6%), German (4.4%), Irish (2.9%), English (1.3%).
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Natalia, Texas is a small town in the southwest corner of Medina County, located about 35 miles southwest of San Antonio. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,060. The town has a total area of 1.7 square miles and an estimated population density of 617 people per square mile.
The majority of Natalia residents are white (82%), with Hispanics accounting for 12% and African Americans making up 6%. The median age is 37 years old, with 29% under 18 and 11% over 65. Over half (54%) are married and the median household income is $52,000. There are a total of 462 housing units in Natalia; however, only 8% are owner-occupied while 92% are renter-occupied. Most homes in Natalia have been built since 2000 (50%), while 38% were built between 1970 and 1999 and 12% were built before 1970. The average commute time to work is 33 minutes for most residents living in Natalia. In terms of education level, over half (52%) have obtained a high school diploma or higher while only 15% hold a bachelor’s degree or higher.
For population 25 years and over in Natalia
- High school or higher: 52.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 12.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Natalia city
- Never married: 25.9%
- Now married: 54.4%
- Separated: 4.3%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 7.3%
4.2% Foreign born (3.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +443 (+36.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Natalia:
- MEDINA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; HONDO, TX)
- MEDINA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; HONDO, TX)
- SOUTHWEST GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Natalia:
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 25 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 36 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 108 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Natalia:
- DEVINE MUNI (about 7 miles; DEVINE, TX; Abbreviation: 23R)
- CASTROVILLE MUNI (about 10 miles; CASTROVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: T89)
- SAN GERONIMO AIRPARK (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 8T8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Natalia:
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 25 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 29 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 30 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 32 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT SAN ANTONIO (about 32 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 14,495)
Public high school in Natalia:
- NATALIA H S (Students: 334; Location: 8TH & PEARSON ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Natalia:
- NATALIA EL (Students: 330; Location: 8TH & PEARSON ST; Grades: 01 – 05)
- NATALIA EARLY CHILD CTR (Students: 283; Location: 8TH & PEARSON ST; Grades: PK – 01)
- NATALIA J H (Students: 277; Location: 8TH & PEARSON ST; Grades: 06 – 08)