According to allcountrylist.com, Nacogdoches, Texas is located in East Texas, nestled between the Angelina and Sabine Rivers. The city has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. Rainfall is abundant throughout the year, and snowfall is rare.
Historically, Nacogdoches was founded in 1779 as a trading post by Spanish explorers. It became a major trading center for cotton, timber, livestock and other goods. During the American Revolution it remained loyal to the Spanish Crown and was not taken over by the Americans until 1821 when Stephen F. Austin led an expedition to take possession of it. The city was officially incorporated in 1837 under President Mirabeau B Lamar of the Republic of Texas.
Politically, Nacogdoches is represented in the Texas Senate by Republican Robert Nichols and in the Texas House of Representatives by Republican Travis Clardy. In 2020, Nacogdoches voted overwhelmingly for Joe Biden for President of the United States and for Democratic candidates down ballot as well.
The economy of Nacogdoches is based largely on agriculture and manufacturing; there are over 400 businesses located within its city limits that employ thousands of people from all around East Texas. The Stephen F Austin State University (SFA) also provides economic opportunities to students and faculty alike through its research projects and programs that have spun off into local businesses such as software development companies and medical clinics.
Schools within Nacogdoches include SFA as well as two high schools – Nacogdoches High School (NHS) and Central Heights High School (CHHS). Both high schools offer a variety of classes from traditional core subjects to specialized electives such as robotics or theater arts.
As far as landmarks go, many historical sites are scattered throughout Nacogdoches including Fort Teran (built in 1779) which was an important military outpost during Spanish rule; Stone Fort Museum (built in 1859), which houses artifacts from early settlers; Durst Taylor House & Garden which dates back to 1835; Millard’s Crossing Historic Village which includes several restored buildings from 1840-1920; Old University Building which served as SFA’s first building; Historic Downtown Square which contains numerous shops & restaurants; Sam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site built in 1868; Lanana Creek Trailhead where visitors may explore nature trails along Lanana Creek & more!
Population: 29,914. Estimated population in July 2020: 30,806 (+3.0% change)
Males: 13,978 (46.7%), Females: 15,936 (53.3%)
Zip codes: 75961, 75964.
Median resident age: 24.4 years
Median household income: $22,700
Median house value: $78,400
Races in Nacogdoches:
- White Non-Hispanic (61.9%)
- Black (25.1%)
- Hispanic (10.8%)
- Other race (5.8%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (9.7%), Irish (8.0%), German (7.7%), United States (7.5%), French (2.5%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%).
Land area: 25.2 square miles
Nacogdoches is a small city located in East Texas, with a population of 32,996 according to the 2010 census. The city is predominately white, accounting for 75.3% of the population, with African American and Hispanic populations representing 18.5% and 20.7%, respectively. Other racial groups make up smaller percentages of the population including Asian (2%), Native American (0.4%) and Pacific Islander (0.03%). The median age in Nacogdoches is 26 years old, slightly below the national median age of 37 years old. Additionally, 33% of households have children under 18 living with them and 57% are married couples living together. Of all households in Nacogdoches, 19% are made up of individuals living alone and 10% have someone over 65 living alone.
The average household size in Nacogdoches is 2.54 people with an average income of $32,668 per year; however this number varies greatly depending on race and ethnicity as well as educational attainment levels among residents. The rate of homeownership among households in Nacogdoches is 56%, which is slightly above the national average rate of 54%. Additionally, 8% of the city’s population lives below the poverty line which is lower than both state and national averages at 16% and 13%, respectively.
Nacogdoches has a highly educated population; 33% have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher compared to 28% nationally while 23 % have some college or an Associate’s Degree compared to 22 % nationwide . Furthermore, Nacogdoches has a large student population due to its proximity to Stephen F Austin State University which enrolls over 12 thousand students annually from all over Texas as well as other states throughout America .
For population 25 years and over in Nacogdoches
- High school or higher: 75.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 30.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.7%
- Unemployed: 15.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Nacogdoches city
- Never married: 40.7%
- Now married: 43.5%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 7.9%
6.0% Foreign born (4.9% Latin America, 0.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,375 (-4.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Nacogdoches:
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (1204 MOUND ST)
- NACOGDOCHES MEDICAL CENTER (4920 NE STALLINGS DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Nacogdoches:
- MEMORIAL MED CENTER OF EAST TEXAS (about 20 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- MEMORIAL SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
- WOODLAND HEIGHTS MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; LUFKIN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Nacogdoches:
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 54 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 73 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- SHREVEPORT REGIONAL (about 81 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Abbreviation: SHV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Nacogdoches:
- A L MANGHAM JR. REGIONAL (about 5 miles; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Abbreviation: OCH)
- ANGELINA COUNTY (about 27 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Abbreviation: LFK)
- SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY (about 34 miles; SAN AUGUSTINE, TX; Abbreviation: 78R)
NACOGDOCHES (UNIVERSITY DR. & STARR RD.) – Bus Station. Services: snack bar, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Nacogdoches:
- STEPHEN F AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 10,217; Location: 1936 NORTH ST; Public; Website: www.sfasu.edu; Offers Doctor’s degree)
- STAR COLLEGE OF COSMETOLOGY (Full-time enrollment: 18; Location: 705 N UNIVERSITY DR; Private, for-profit)
- EAST TEXAS CAREERS (Location: 1008 E MAIN; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Nacogdoches:
- ANGELINA COLLEGE (about 21 miles; LUFKIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,773)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 56 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 67 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 84 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 88 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 92 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
Public high schools in Nacogdoches:
- NACOGDOCHES H S (Students: 1,887; Location: 4310 APPLEBY SAND RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CENTRAL HEIGHTS H S (Students: 308; Location: 10317 US HWY 259 N; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Nacogdoches:
- CHANGED (Students: 972; Location: 411 N MOUND ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
- MIKE MOSES INT (Students: 902; Location: 2801 PARK ST; Grades: 05 – 06)
- BROOKS-QUINN-JONES ECLC (Students: 685; Location: 907 N SANDERS ST; Grades: PK – KG)
- CARPENTER EL (Students: 533; Location: 1005 LEROY ST; Grades: 01 – 04)
- FREDONIA EL (Students: 502; Location: 1326 S FREDONIA ST; Grades: 01 – 04)
- CENTRAL HEIGHTS EL (Students: 452; Location: 10317 US HWY 259 N; Grades: PK – 06)
- RAGUET EL (Students: 437; Location: 2708 RAGUET ST; Grades: 01 – 04)
- NETTIE MARSHALL EL (Students: 352; Location: 422 W COX ST; Grades: 01 – 04)
- NISD/SFASU CHARTER CAMPUS (Students: 114; Location: 511 S UNIVERSITY DR; Grades: KG – 04)
- NACOGDOCHES CO ALTER ED COOP (Location: 1800 DOUGLASS RD; Grades: 05 – 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Nacogdoches:
- FREDONIA HILL BAPTIST DAY SCH (Students: 258; Location: 1711 SOUTH STREET; Grades: PK – 6)
- CHRIST EPISCOPAL SCHOOL (Students: 144; Location: 502 EAST STARR AVENUE; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Nacogdoches:
- NACOGDOCHES PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $274,465; Location: 1112 NORTH ST; 74,709 books; 2,596 audio materials; 1,381 video materials; 95 serial subscriptions)