According to Best-medical-schools, Munday, Texas is a small city located in Knox County. The city has a population of 2,600 people and covers an area of 4.2 square miles. The geography of Munday is characterized by flat terrain with gently rolling hills, and it is surrounded by farmland and forests. The climate in Munday is typically mild with hot summers and cool winters.
The history of Munday dates back to the 19th century when it was founded as a railroad town by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. Since then, the city has seen slow but steady growth over the years and today it is known for its unique charm and hospitality.
Politically, Munday is part of Knox County which is represented in Congress by Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert. At the state level, Munday residents are represented by Senator Charles Perry and Representative Drew Springer.
Economically, Munday benefits from its proximity to larger cities like Abilene which provides many employment opportunities in areas such as oil, gas, banking and healthcare. Additionally, there are several local businesses that provide goods and services to the community including grocery stores, restaurants, retail outlets and other small businesses that contribute to the local economy.
Education wise there are two public schools in Munday – an elementary school for grades K-5th and a middle school for grades 6-8th – both of which are part of the Knox County Independent School District (KCISD). Additionally there are several private schools located nearby including St Mary’s Catholic School and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Academy both located in Abilene TX .
Finally some notable landmarks around Munday include Big Creek Park which features picnic areas , playgrounds , walking trails , basketball courts , volleyball courts , horseshoe pits , disc golf courses , fishing ponds as well as camping sites . Other attractions include the historic Gray Mule Saloon , The Black Kettle Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers to the area as well as historical photographs .
Population: 1,527. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,349 (-11.7% change)
Males: 712 (46.6%), Females: 815 (53.4%)
Zip code: 76371
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $22,708
Median house value: $28,300
Races in Munday:
- White Non-Hispanic (59.7%)
- Hispanic (30.6%)
- Other race (17.8%)
- Black (8.5%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.8%), German (7.7%), Irish (6.1%), English (5.0%).
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Munday, Texas is a small town located in Knox County, with a population of 1,073 as of the 2010 census. The majority of the population is made up of white Americans, accounting for 84.7% of the total population. African-Americans make up 8.6% of the population and Hispanics or Latinos account for 6.4%. Native Americans make up 0.2% of the total population and Asians make up 0.1%. The median age for Munday is 41 years old, slightly higher than the national median age of 37 years old. In terms of education level, 57% have earned a high school diploma or higher while only 10% have earned a Bachelor’s degree or higher. The median household income in Munday is $27,813 while the poverty rate is at 28%. The largest industry in Munday is manufacturing which accounts for 21% of employment followed by educational services at 16%. Agriculture comes in third at 8%, followed by retail trade at 7%. The unemployment rate stands at 5%, lower than both state and national averages.
For population 25 years and over in Munday
- High school or higher: 61.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.1%
- Unemployed: 9.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Munday city
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 64.6%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 5.5%
8.9% Foreign born (8.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -85 (-5.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Munday:
- KNOX COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; KNOX CITY, TX)
- HASKELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; HASKELL, TX)
- SEYMOUR HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; SEYMOUR, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Munday:
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 73 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
- DYESS AFB (about 73 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- ALTUS AFB (about 87 miles; ALTUS, OK; Abbreviation: LTS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Munday:
- MUNDAY MUNI (about 4 miles; MUNDAY, TX; Abbreviation: 37F)
- HARRISON FIELD OF KNOX CITY (about 13 miles; KNOX CITY, TX; Abbreviation: F75)
- HASKELL MUNI (about 20 miles; HASKELL, TX; Abbreviation: 15F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Munday:
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- MIDWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 81 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,619)
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY (about 114 miles; LAWTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 130 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 153 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 154 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public high school in Munday:
- MUNDAY H S (Students: 137; Location: 911 W D; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Munday:
- MUNDAY EL (Students: 254; Location: 1111 W MAIN; Grades: PK – 06)
- MUNDAY JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 78; Location: P O BOX 300; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Munday:
- MUNDAY CITY-COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $8,093; Location: 121 EAST B ST; 13,654 books; 7 serial subscriptions)