According to CAMPINGSHIP.COM, Monahans, Texas is located in the Permian Basin region of West Texas and is part of Ward County. It has an elevation of 3,000 feet and is situated between two sand dunes that rise to over 200 feet. Its climate is semi-arid with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature is around 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and 45 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter. The area receives an average of 16 inches of rain each year.
The city was founded in 1881 as a stop on the Pecos Valley Railway line and was originally named “Monahansville.” It was later renamed after a local rancher, John Monahan, who donated land for the railway station. The city has grown steadily since then and today it has a population of over 6,000 people.
Politically, Monahans is part of Texas’s 11th Congressional District which sends representatives to both the U.S House of Representatives and the State House of Representatives. It also sends representatives to the State Senate as well as to local government offices such as Mayor, City Council Members, County Commissioners, etc.
The economy of Monahans relies heavily on oil production from nearby fields like Winkler County’s Wolfcamp Shale formation which produces more oil than any other field in Texas. Other industries include agriculture, manufacturing, retail trade, health care services and education services like schools & universities in nearby cities like Odessa & Midland .
When it comes to education there are several options available for students within Monahans itself including: Monahans-Wickett-Pyote Independent School District (MWPISD) which serves grades K-12; A&M University at Odessa; Odessa College; University of Texas Permian Basin; Midland College; Sul Ross State University Rio Grande College; Western Technical College among others .
As far as landmarks go there are several places worth noting such as: Monahans Sandhills State Park which offers camping & hiking trails; Memorial Stadium which hosts football games & other events; Monahan Municipal Park with its walking trails & picnic areas; Fort Lancaster Museum & Historic Site showcasing artifacts from early settlers ; Westward Ho RV Resort where visitors can stay while enjoying fishing & golfing activities ; and many more .
Population: 6,821. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,325 (-7.3% change)
Males: 3,288 (48.2%), Females: 3,533 (51.8%)
Zip code: 79756
Median resident age: 35.5 years
Median household income: $30,349
Median house value: $37,000
Races in Monahans:
- White Non-Hispanic (50.1%)
- Hispanic (43.7%)
- Other race (12.5%)
- Black (5.2%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (10.4%), German (8.0%), Irish (7.4%), English (5.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%), Scottish (1.5%).
Elevation: 2624 feet
Land area: 24.8 square miles
Monahans, Texas is a small town located in Ward County with a population of 6,945 according to the 2019 census. The majority of the population is between the ages of 25-44, making up nearly 30% of the population. The rest of the population is evenly split between those aged 45-64, 18-24 and 65+. There is a diverse range of ethnic backgrounds in Monahans with White (64.3%), Hispanic (31.1%), African American (2.9%) and Asian (0.7%) being the most represented demographics. The median household income is $38,969 which is lower than both the state and national averages. The poverty rate for Monahans stands at 16.4%, higher than that of Texas and slightly higher than that of the US on average.
Education levels in Monahans are relatively low with only 17% of adults having obtained at least a bachelor’s degree compared to 28% nationally and 25% statewide. However, due to its proximity to larger cities such as Midland and Odessa, many residents have access to higher education opportunities within driving distance or even online courses from universities across Texas and beyond if they wish to pursue further studies beyond high school or vocational training programs available at local community colleges or trade schools in the area.
For population 25 years and over in Monahans
- High school or higher: 73.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 9.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monahans city
- Never married: 19.8%
- Now married: 59.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 9.9%
7.3% Foreign born (6.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,224 (-15.2%).
Hospital/medical center in Monahans:
- WARD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (406 S GARY ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Monahans:
- WINKLER COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; KERMIT, TX)
- MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; ODESSA, TX)
- CRANE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; CRANE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Monahans:
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 55 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 79 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- CAVERN CITY AIR TRML (about 106 miles; CARLSBAD, NM; Abbreviation: CNM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Monahans:
- ROY HURD MEMORIAL (about 2 miles; MONAHANS, TX; Abbreviation: E01)
- WINKLER COUNTY (about 24 miles; WINK, TX; Abbreviation: INK)
- LEA COUNTY/JAL/ (about 40 miles; JAL, NM; Abbreviation: E26)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monahans:
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 37 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 65 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- SUL ROSS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; ALPINE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 143 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 155 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 158 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 180 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
Public high schools in Monahans:
- MONAHANS H S (Students: 595; Location: 809 S BETTY ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MONAHANS ED CTR (Students: 32; Location: 813 S ALICE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Monahans:
- SUDDERTH EL (Students: 300; Location: CAROL & E ST; Grades: 05 – 06)
- EDWARDS EL (Students: 297; Location: 804 S DWIGHT AVE; Grades: 01 – 02)
- WALKER J H (Students: 294; Location: 800 S FAYE AVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- TATOM EL (Students: 246; Location: 1600 S CALVIN AVE; Grades: 03 – 04)
- GEORGE CULLENDER KIND (Students: 200; Location: 1100 S LEON AVE; Grades: PK – KG)
- SPECIAL ED SERVICES (Location: 402 W 6TH ST; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in Monahans:
- WARD COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $162,829; Location: 409 S DWIGHT ST; 46,566 books; 634 audio materials; 1,985 video materials; 32 serial subscriptions)