According to Usprivateschoolsfinder, Mineral Wells, Texas is located in the north-central part of the state and is known for its hot summers and mild winters. The city is nestled in the Palo Pinto Mountains which provides a beautiful backdrop to the city. The climate is characterized by hot, dry summers with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and mild winters with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing.
The history of Mineral Wells dates back to 1877 when it was founded as a health resort due to its natural mineral water springs. It was once home to a thriving resort scene with people from all around the country coming for its healing waters. Today it has become a small town with a population of just under 17,000 people.
The politics of Mineral Wells are generally conservative, with most voters leaning Republican in elections. The economy of Mineral Wells largely relies on tourism and services, though there are some manufacturing jobs available as well.
The schools in Mineral Wells are served by both public and private institutions including Palo Pinto County Independent School District and St. Mary’s Catholic School. There are also several higher education institutions nearby such as Weatherford College, Tarleton State University, and Texas A&M University-Commerce which provide educational opportunities for students in the area.
Mineral Wells has many landmarks that make it unique among other cities in Texas such as Crazy Water Hotel & Spa which was built around one of the original mineral water springs that made Mineral Wells famous; Baker Hotel which was once considered one of the grandest hotels in Texas; Fort Wolters Historic Site which was once an Army training facility; Possum Kingdom Lake which offers many recreational activities such as boating, swimming fishing; Brazos River Park which features miles of trails for biking or walking; and Palo Pinto County Courthouse Square where you can find many local businesses like restaurants, shops, galleries, etc..
Population: 16,946. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,919 (-0.2% change)
Males: 9,252 (54.6%), Females: 7,694 (45.4%)
Palo Pinto County
Zip codes: 76067.
Median resident age: 35.3 years
Median household income: $27,233
Median house value: $41,700
Races in Mineral Wells:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.8%)
- Hispanic (19.3%)
- Other race (10.5%)
- Black (8.8%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (12.2%), Irish (8.7%), German (8.6%), English (6.3%), French (1.7%), Dutch (1.5%).
Elevation: 911 feet
Land area: 20.5 square miles
Mineral Wells, Texas is a small, but growing town located in Palo Pinto County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 16,788. The city is home to many different types of people from all walks of life. The racial makeup of Mineral Wells is 79.9% White, 11.2% Hispanic or Latino, 5.2% African American, 2.8% Native American and 1.0% Asian with a small percentage of other races making up the remaining population. About 28.1% of the population are under 18 years old with just over 20 percent being 65 years or older. The average household size is 2.51 persons per household and the median family income is $39,811 per year with almost a third of families living below the poverty line in Mineral Wells according to 2010 Census figures. The city has seen an increase in population growth over recent years due to its proximity to Fort Worth and Dallas as many people have moved there for employment opportunities in those larger metropolitan areas while still enjoying a rural lifestyle close to nature and recreation areas such as Lake Mineral Wells State Park and Possum Kingdom Lake which are both located nearby the city limits.
For population 25 years and over in Mineral Wells
- High school or higher: 65.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 7.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mineral Wells city
- Never married: 16.5%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 11.4%
- Divorced: 12.1%
5.9% Foreign born (4.7% Latin America, 0.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,882 (+12.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Mineral Wells:
- PALO PINTO GENERAL HOSPITAL (400 SOUTHWEST 25 AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Mineral Wells:
- CAMPBELL HEALTH SYSTEM (about 23 miles; WEATHERFORD, TX)
- FAITH COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; JACKSBORO, TX)
- LAKE GRANBURY MEDICAL CENTER (about 35 miles; GRANBURY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mineral Wells:
- FORT WORTH NAS JRB/CARSWELL FIELD (about 47 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: NFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 53 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
- FORT WORTH ALLIANCE (about 56 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: AFW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mineral Wells:
- MINERAL WELLS (about 5 miles; MINERAL WELLS, TX; Abbreviation: MWL)
- HORSESHOE BEND (about 24 miles; WEATHERFORD, TX; Abbreviation: F78)
- POSSUM KINGDOM (about 25 miles; GRAFORD, TX; Abbreviation: F35)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mineral Wells:
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,454)
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,032)
- SOUTHWESTERN BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY (about 57 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,253)
- TEXAS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,403)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON (about 67 miles; ARLINGTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,467)
- TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; DENTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,746)
Public high schools in Mineral Wells:
- MINERAL WELL H S (Students: 1,003; Location: 3801 RAM BLVD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- DREAM ACADEMY (Students: 23; Location: 3810 RAM BLVD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mineral Wells:
- TRAVIS EL (Students: 806; Location: 1001 S E 7TH ST; Grades: 04 – 06)
- LAMAR EL (Students: 736; Location: 2012 S E 12TH ST; Grades: PK – 01)
- MINERAL WELLS J H (Students: 600; Location: 1301 S E 14TH AVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- HOUSTON EL (Students: 516; Location: 300 S W 13TH ST; Grades: PK – 03)
Private primary/middle school in Mineral Wells:
- COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 57; Location: 2501 GARRETT MORRIS PKWY; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Mineral Wells:
- BOYCE DITTO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $268,993; Location: 2300 SE 7TH ST; 50,383 books; 1,133 audio materials; 2,371 video materials; 124 serial subscriptions)