According to topschoolsintheusa, Mineola, Texas is located in Wood County, about halfway between Dallas and Shreveport. The city has a population of approximately 5,000 people, and it is known for its small-town charm and friendly atmosphere. Geographically, Mineola is situated on the banks of Lake Fork Reservoir and the Sabine River. It is also surrounded by lush piney woods and rolling hills. The climate in Mineola tends to be warm during the summer months with temperatures reaching into the high 90s. During the winter months temperatures can reach into the 40s and 50s.
The history of Mineola dates back to 1873 when it was originally established as a railroad stop near what was then known as Pardue’s Prairie. In 1888, Mineola was officially incorporated as a city with a population of about 600 people. Since then, the city has seen significant growth and development over time. Politically speaking, Mineola is part of Wood County which leans slightly Republican in terms of voter registration numbers.
The economy in Mineola consists primarily of small businesses that cater to local needs such as restaurants, retail stores, automotive repair shops, and other services that meet local demands. There are also several manufacturing facilities located within the city limits which provide employment opportunities for residents. Additionally, there are several large employers located just outside of town including Pilgrim’s Pride Chicken processing plant and Walmart Distribution Center which have helped to stimulate economic growth in recent years.
In terms of education, there are two public primary schools located within the city limits: Mineola Elementary School (grades K-5) and Mineola Middle School (grades 6-8). For students looking to pursue higher education opportunities there are several nearby universities including UT Tyler’s regional campus at Longview Community College (LCC). Finally there are several notable landmarks located throughout Mineola such as the historic downtown district with its old-fashioned brick buildings that were built during the early 1900s era; Lake Fork Reservoir which offers great fishing opportunities; The Texas & Pacific Railway Museum; The Grapeland Water Park; And lastly The Sabine River Authority which provides recreational activities along with educational programs throughout the year on topics ranging from water conservation to wildlife management techniques.
Population: 4,550. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,994 (+9.8% change)
Males: 2,125 (46.7%), Females: 2,425 (53.3%)
Zip code: 75773
Median resident age: 39.8 years
Median household income: $30,000
Median house value: $62,300
Races in Mineola:
- White Non-Hispanic (71.8%)
- Black (13.4%)
- Hispanic (12.9%)
- Other race (6.4%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (12.9%), Irish (9.6%), German (7.6%), United States (6.0%), Scottish (2.1%), Italian (2.1%).
Land area: 5.3 square miles
Mineola, Texas is a small town located in Wood County, with a population of approximately 5,000 people. The town was founded in 1873 and has since grown to become an important center of commerce and industry in the East Texas region. The majority of the population is made up of White Americans, followed by African Americans and Hispanic Americans, who each make up approximately 10% of the population. The median household income for Mineola residents is $40,000 per year, which is slightly lower than the state average. Education levels are also lower than average in Mineola; only 17% of adults have a four-year college degree or higher compared to 27% statewide. The majority of people living in Mineola are employed in blue-collar occupations such as construction, production and transportation. However, there are also many white-collar jobs available due to the presence of several large businesses and industries located near Mineola. Overall, Mineola is an economically diverse community that offers its residents many opportunities for employment and growth.
For population 25 years and over in Mineola
- High school or higher: 72.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mineola city
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 56.9%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 9.8%
10.1% Foreign born (9.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +63 (+1.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mineola:
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER QUITMAN (about 11 miles; QUITMAN, TX)
- COZBY GERMANY HOSPIAL (about 16 miles; GRAND SALINE, TX)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL OF WINNSBORO (about 23 miles; WINNSBORO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mineola:
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 23 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- EAST TEXAS RGNL (about 58 miles; LONGVIEW, TX; Abbreviation: GGG)
- COX FLD (about 67 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mineola:
- MINEOLA WISENER FIELD (about 1 miles; MINEOLA, TX; Abbreviation: 3F9)
- WOOD COUNTY (about 5 miles; MINEOLA/QUITMAN, TX; Abbreviation: 3T1)
- WINNSBORO MUNI (about 24 miles; WINNSBORO, TX; Abbreviation: F51)
MINEOLA (115 E. FRONT ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mineola:
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 10 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT TYLER (about 28 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- KILGORE COLLEGE (about 47 miles; KILGORE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,814)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 49 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 78 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 80 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
Public high school in Mineola:
- MINEOLA H S (Students: 429; Location: 900 W PATTEN; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Mineola:
- MINEOLA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 28; Location: 1705 NORTH NEWSOM; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mineola:
- MINEOLA PRI (Students: 451; Location: 1050 W LOOP; Grades: PK – 02)
- MINEOLA EL (Students: 364; Location: 900 W PATTEN; Grades: PK – 05)
- MINEOLA MIDDLE (Students: 357; Location: 1050 W LOOP; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Mineola:
- MINEOLA MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $160,207; Location: 301 N PACIFIC ST; 40,629 books; 1,720 audio materials; 2,711 video materials; 27 serial subscriptions)