According to indexdotcom.com, Mertzon is located in the state of Texas, in Irion County. It has a population of around 1,000 people and is situated in the rolling hills of the Concho River Valley. The city has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average daily temperature in July is 95°F (35°C) while the average daily temperature in January is 46°F (8°C).
The history of Mertzon dates back to 1883 when it was founded as a railroad stop. The city was named after its first postmaster, Henry Mertz, who also donated land for its first school. Today, Mertzon has a Mayor/City Council form of government and its economy is based on agriculture, oil & gas production and tourism. There are several schools located within the city including Mertzon Elementary School, Mertzon High School, and Irwin County College.
Mertzon boasts several landmarks that attract tourists from all over Texas and beyond. These include the Concho Valley Railroad Museum which houses artifacts from local railroads; Old Irion County Jail which dates back to 1887; and The Old Red Barn which houses antiques from the early 20th century. Additionally, there are numerous parks located throughout the city where visitors can enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking. Finally, there are numerous restaurants that offer authentic local cuisine such as barbeque ribs and Tex-Mex dishes.
Population: 839. Estimated population in July 2020: 833 (-0.7% change)
Males: 410 (48.9%), Females: 429 (51.1%)
Zip code: 76941
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $33,333
Median house value: $57,700
Races in Mertzon:
- White Non-Hispanic (65.1%)
- Hispanic (34.2%)
- Other race (11.7%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (14.1%), German (12.2%), Irish (8.6%), English (7.0%), French (2.5%), Scottish (1.9%).
Land area: 1.5 square miles
Mertzon, Texas is a small town located in Tom Green County, with a population of 1,147 according to the 2018 census. The town is situated along Interstate 20 and has a total area of 2.2 square miles.The majority of the population is white (87.2%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (7.4%), African American (3%) and other races (1.4%). The median age of the residents is 34 years old, with 52% being female and 48% male. The median household income for Mertzon is $47,500 and the poverty rate is 22%. Education levels are slightly higher than average in this area, with 36% of adults having at least some college experience or higher education degree.
In terms of employment, most residents are employed in retail trade (14%), construction (10%) or administrative support occupations (10%). The unemployment rate in Mertzon was 4.6% as of 2018, lower than the national average at that time. Transportation services are limited in this rural area; the nearest airport is San Angelo Regional Airport located 35 miles away from Mertzon while there are no public transportation options available within the town itself.
Mertzon offers a variety of recreational activities to its residents such as fishing on O H Ivie Reservoir and hunting on nearby ranches as well as visiting local parks like Mertzon City Park which features playgrounds, picnic areas and walking trails for outdoor recreation enthusiasts to enjoy nature and get some fresh air. Additionally there are several churches located within town offering spiritual guidance and community events for residents to take part in throughout the year such as festivals and fairs which attract visitors from all over Texas.
For population 25 years and over in Mertzon
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mertzon city
- Never married: 16.5%
- Now married: 62.3%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 12.9%
3.5% Foreign born (3.1% Latin America, 0.4% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +59 (+7.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mertzon:
- SAN ANGELO COMMUNITY MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
- RIVER CREST HOSP (about 26 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
- SHANNON WEST TEXAS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mertzon:
- SAN ANGELO REGIONAL/MATHIS FIELD (about 25 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Abbreviation: SJT)
- DYESS AFB (about 105 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 107 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mertzon:
- ALVIE COLE RANCH (about 28 miles; STERLING CITY, TX; Abbreviation: 64F)
- ELDORADO (about 33 miles; ELDORADO, TX; Abbreviation: 27R)
- OZONA MUNI (about 45 miles; OZONA, TX; Abbreviation: OZA)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mertzon:
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 103 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 113 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 113 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 121 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 155 miles; UVALDE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,366)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 176 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
Public high school in Mertzon:
- IRION H S (Students: 182; Location: 405 N 3RD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mertzon:
- IRION EL (Students: 182; Location: 405 N 3RD; Grades: PK – 06)
- FAIRVIEW ACCELERATED (AEP) (Location: 405 N 3RD; Grades: N – N )
Library in Mertzon:
- IRION COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $12,707; Location: 111 W FAYETTE AVE; 9,317 books; 98 audio materials; 35 video materials)