According to TIMEDICTIONARY, Menard, Texas is a small town located in the Hill Country of Texas. It is situated along the banks of the San Saba River and is surrounded by rolling hills and lush vegetation. The climate in Menard is mild, with hot summers and mild winters. The area experiences occasional thunderstorms during the summer months, but overall the weather is quite pleasant.
The history of Menard dates back to 1845 when it was founded as a trading post for settlers traveling through the Hill Country. Early settlers were attracted to the area due to its abundance of natural resources and scenic beauty. Over time, Menard developed into a thriving community with stores, saloons, schools, churches, and other amenities for its citizens.
Politics in Menard are mostly conservative with a strong focus on traditional values. The economy relies heavily on agriculture and tourism as well as some manufacturing businesses located near town. Schools in Menard include a public high school and several private schools offering K-12 education options to local students.
Menard has several landmarks that are popular tourist attractions such as Fort McKavett State Historic Site and Old Fort Griffin State Historic Site which both offer visitors an opportunity to explore this historic area of Texas. Other attractions include Lake Menard which offers swimming, fishing, camping and boating activities; as well as nearby parks such as San Saba River Park and Lost Maples State Natural Area which provide plenty of nature-based activities for visitors to enjoy. All in all Menard provides a unique experience for those who visit or live there – filled with history, culture, recreation and relaxation!
Population: 1,653. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,538 (-7.0% change)
Males: 815 (49.3%), Females: 838 (50.7%)
Zip code: 76859
Median resident age: 40.3 years
Median household income: $19,698
Median house value: $28,500
Races in Menard:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.7%)
- Hispanic (39.3%)
- Other race (12.0%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (9.0%), English (7.6%), Irish (7.5%), German (6.7%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%), French (1.3%).
Elevation: 1886 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Menard, Texas is a small rural town located in the western part of the state. It has a population of around 1,400 people, according to the 2010 census. Most of its residents are of European descent and many have lived in the area for generations. The town is home to a variety of businesses and organizations, including churches, schools, restaurants and stores. The local economy is based primarily on agriculture and tourism. There are several attractions in Menard including a historic downtown, an 18th-century fort and a number of recreational activities such as fishing and hunting. The town is also home to several festivals throughout the year, including Cinco de Mayo and the San Saba County Rodeo. In addition to its diverse population, Menard offers visitors plenty of things to do and see. The town has several parks where visitors can enjoy nature trails or take part in outdoor activities like biking or horseback riding. There are also many restaurants serving traditional Mexican cuisine as well as other regional specialties like BBQ brisket or chicken fried steak. Shopping options include antique stores, gift shops and art galleries featuring local artists’ work. For those looking for more modern amenities, there are several fast-food chains located within walking distance from downtown Menard.
For population 25 years and over in Menard
- High school or higher: 62.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Menard city
- Never married: 20.8%
- Now married: 50.9%
- Separated: 4.2%
- Widowed: 14.4%
- Divorced: 9.6%
5.7% Foreign born (5.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +60 (+3.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Menard:
- CONCHO COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; EDEN, TX)
- KIMBLE HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; JUNCTION, TX)
- HEART OF TEXAS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; BRADY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Menard:
- SAN ANGELO REGIONAL/MATHIS FIELD (about 57 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Abbreviation: SJT)
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 103 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
- DYESS AFB (about 103 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Menard:
- MENARD COUNTY (about 3 miles; MENARD, TX; Abbreviation: T50)
- KIMBLE COUNTY (about 29 miles; JUNCTION, TX; Abbreviation: JCT)
- CURTIS FIELD (about 37 miles; BRADY, TX; Abbreviation: BBD)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Menard:
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 115 miles; UVALDE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,366)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT SAN ANTONIO (about 124 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 14,495)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 129 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 132 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
Public high school in Menard:
- MENARD H S (Students: 128; Location: 221 E SAN SABA; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Menard:
- MENARD EL (Students: 174; Location: 221 E SAN SABA; Grades: PK – 05)
- MENARD J H (Students: 86; Location: 221 E SAN SABA; Grades: 06 – 08)
- DAEP (Students: 1; Location: P O BOX 729; Grades: KG – 12)
Library in Menard:
- MENARD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $24,165; Location: 100 E MISSION ST; 11,332 books; 171 audio materials; 12 video materials; 2 serial subscriptions)