According to TRAVELATIONARY, Megargel, Texas is situated in the north-central region of the state. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and lush vegetation, providing a picturesque backdrop for its residents. The climate in Megargel is mild and temperate, with warm summers and cool winters.
The history of Megargel dates back to 1876 when it was founded as a trading post. Over the years, it has grown into an agricultural hub, with many farms operating in the area. In recent years, Megargel has seen an influx of new businesses and housing developments that have helped to boost its economy.
Politics in Megargel are largely dominated by local issues such as education, infrastructure, and economic development. The city’s mayor is elected every two years and serves as the chief executive officer for the municipality.
The economy of Megargel is largely dependent on agriculture, with many farms operating throughout the city limits. Additionally, there are several small businesses that provide services to local residents such as restaurants and retail stores.
Schools in Megargel are part of the public school system and include elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, vocational programs, and higher education institutions such as community colleges.
Megargel has several notable landmarks including a historic courthouse built in 1891 which houses a museum dedicated to local history as well as a library that provides access to books on various topics related to Texas history. Additionally, there is a memorial park dedicated to veterans located near downtown which features monuments honoring those who have served our country during times of war or conflict.
Population: 248. Estimated population in July 2020: 254 (+2.4% change)
Males: 124 (50.0%), Females: 124 (50.0%)
Zip code: 76370
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $30,000
Median house value: $18,900
Races in Megargel:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.9%)
- Hispanic (6.0%)
- Two or more races (4.0%)
- Black (0.8%)
- Filipino (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (16.9%), German (8.5%), Irish (8.5%), Czech (8.1%), English (6.5%), Scottish (1.2%).
Elevation: 1286 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Megargel, Texas is a small, rural town located in the northern part of Archer County. According to the 2010 census, Megargel has an estimated population of 463 people. The population is made up mostly of Caucasian and Hispanic individuals. The median age of Megargel residents is 36 years old, with a median household income of $36,250 per year. Approximately 30% of the population lives below the poverty line. The majority of Megargel citizens are employed in agriculture and related industries such as farming and ranching. There are also other employment opportunities related to oil and gas production in the area. Education is important to Megargel residents; there are two public schools in town – one elementary school and one high school – as well as a community college that offers vocational training programs for adults. Additionally, there are several local churches that provide spiritual guidance to many members of the community. Despite its small size, Megargel has a rich history and culture that many locals take pride in. From festivals celebrating local produce and livestock to rodeos showcasing cowboy skills, Megargel offers something for everyone who visits or calls it home.
For population 25 years and over in Megargel
- High school or higher: 76.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Megargel town
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 65.3%
- Separated: 4.7%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 6.1%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +14 (+6.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Megargel:
- HAMILTON HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; OLNEY, TX)
- SEYMOUR HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; SEYMOUR, TX)
- THROCKMORTON COUNTY MEM HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; THROCKMORTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Megargel:
- SHEPPARD AFB/WICHITA FALLS MUNI (about 48 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Abbreviation: SPS)
- LAWTON-FORT SILL REGIONAL (about 85 miles; LAWTON, OK; Abbreviation: LAW)
- ALTUS AFB (about 86 miles; ALTUS, OK; Abbreviation: LTS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Megargel:
- OLNEY MUNI (about 11 miles; OLNEY, TX; Abbreviation: ONY)
- ARCHER CITY MUNI (about 23 miles; ARCHER CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T39)
- THROCKMORTON MUNI (about 25 miles; THROCKMORTON, TX; Abbreviation: 72F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Megargel:
- MIDWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,619)
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; LAWTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 87 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- TARLETON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; STEPHENVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,068)
- TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE (about 121 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,454)
- TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 123 miles; FT WORTH, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,032)
Public primary/middle school in Megargel:
- MEGARGEL SCHOOL (Students: 52; Location: 301 FIRST ST; Grades: PK – 12)