According to iTypeJob, Galena Park is located in Harris County, Texas, just east of Houston. The city has a temperate climate with hot summers and mild winters. The terrain of Galena Park is mostly flat with some rolling hills and marshland.
The history of Galena Park dates back to the early 1800s when it was inhabited by the Karankawa Native Americans. It was later settled by two brothers, John and William Austin, who established a trading post in the area. By 1845 it had become a thriving port city and was incorporated in 1945. The city has been home to many different cultures over the years including German, Mexican, African American, and Cajun populations.
Politically, Galena Park is represented at the local level by a mayor and six council members who are elected every two years. The city also participates in various state and federal elections such as for governor or president of the United States.
The economy of Galena Park is largely based on its port activities as well as manufacturing, technology companies, and retail businesses. There are also many small businesses that serve the local community such as restaurants and shops providing employment opportunities for residents.
Galena Park is served by several public schools including North Shore High School which offers programs for students ranging from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several private schools located nearby which offer more specialized instruction for students seeking alternative education options.
Finally, there are many landmarks in Galena Park that attract visitors from all over including San Jacinto Monument which commemorates Texas’ independence from Mexico; Battleship Texas which served in both World Wars; Armand Bayou Nature Center which provides outdoor recreational activities; and Space City Raceway where people come to watch car races on weekends.
Population: 10,592. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,221 (-3.5% change)
Males: 5,273 (49.8%), Females: 5,319 (50.2%)
Zip code: 77547
Median resident age: 28.0 years
Median household income: $31,660
Median house value: $46,100
Races in Galena Park:
- Hispanic (69.3%)
- Other race (24.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (22.2%)
- Black (7.6%)
- Two or more races (3.7%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (4.1%), German (3.4%), Irish (3.2%), English (2.6%), Subsaharan African (1.3%), French (1.0%).
Elevation: 28 feet
Land area: 5.0 square miles
Galena Park, Texas is a small city located in Harris County, Texas. With a population of 10,887 as of 2019, Galena Park is the fourth largest city in Harris County. The city is largely Hispanic or Latino, with nearly 70% of its population identifying as such. Galena Park’s Hispanic or Latino population is largely Mexican-American, with some Central and South American immigrants making up the remainder. The majority of the city’s population falls between 25 and 44 years old, making it a young and vibrant community. Other major racial groups are African-American (18%), White (7%), and Asian (5%). A small percentage of the population identifies as two or more races (1%).
The median household income in Galena Park is $40,789 per year, with around 12% of households living below the poverty line. The majority of households are owner occupied – about 64% – while 36% are rented or leased. Education levels vary widely in this community; while some adults have college degrees or higher education credentials, many do not have any formal education past high school graduation or GED attainment.
Galena Park has plenty to offer its residents; from entertainment venues like golf courses to parks and outdoor activities like kayaking on the nearby San Jacinto River to shopping centers and restaurants that cater to different tastes and cultures. It also has several public schools within its boundaries including Galena Park High School and North Shore Senior High School which serve students from grades 9-12.
For population 25 years and over in Galena Park
- High school or higher: 48.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 12.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Galena Park city
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 58.8%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 7.4%
33.2% Foreign born (32.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +500 (+5.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Galena Park:
- COLUMBIA E HOUSTON MED CTR E LOOP CAMP (about 5 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- IHS HOSP AT HOUSTON (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- BAYSHORE MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; PASADENA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Galena Park:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 8 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 18 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Galena Park:
- LA PORTE MUNI (about 14 miles; LA PORTE, TX; Abbreviation: T41)
- SKYWAY MANOR (about 15 miles; PEARLAND, TX; Abbreviation: T79)
- PEARLAND RGNL (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: LVJ)
Amtrak stations near Galena Park:
- 6 miles: SOUTH HOUSTON (1546 COLLEGE) – Bus Station
- 10 miles: HOUSTON (902 WASHINGTON AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Galena Park:
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 8 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 9 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 9 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 9 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
Public high school in Galena Park:
- GALENA PARK H S (Students: 1,620; Location: 1000 KEENE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Galena Park:
- GALENA PARK MIDDLE (Students: 1,009; Location: 400 KEENE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MACARTHUR EL (Students: 717; Location: 1801 N MAIN; Grades: PK – 05)
- GALENA PARK EL (Students: 655; Location: 401 N MAIN; Grades: PK – 05)